Monday, October 3, 2011

Podcast Reviews

X-Play Podcast
http://www.g4tv.com/games/xplay/


I chose X-Play's podcast as my first to review. X-Play is a show, one that I haven't watched in years, that reviews video games. Watching the video podcasts reminds me how much I enjoy listening to the hosts and their opinions on games. Through their videos you get to a good look at various gameplay aspects, and at the end they'll give a rating.

Sometimes there are reviews, other times there will be previews, interviews (that's a lot of 'views'), and they'll find themselves at gaming conventions to get a good look at what's-to-come in the gaming world. My only complaint is that the video quality could be better, but there's a chance that there's an HD option that I'm missing.


BrainStuff
http://www.howstuffworks.com/podcasts/brainstuff.rss


From there I checked out the BrainStuff. It sounded like it could be interesting, but I became wary when one of the podcasts was “What happens when you press Alt and F4?” and thought “Well gee if someone was asking that, why don't they just try it.” But not everyone is computer literate. But then you go to something like “What is dynamite? How does it work?” and isn't that just cool? I'm not sure if I'll continue to follow this one – it seems like a hit-or-miss, but from a creative writing view you could find some gems. It might not be worth the effort though, and I'm not sold on listening to the speaker.


Pet Food Alphas
http://petfoodalpha.com/


I did realize in my search for a third podcast to review that I preferred shorter podcasts. Getting longer than 15 minutes? Not in my preference. Nonetheless I settled back towards video games and checked out “Pet Food Alphas,” a podcast that discusses the MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) Final Fantasy XI.

Admittedly it took me awhile to settle into since it took them a bit to settle into it, but it is one of very few FFXI podcasts that keeps up to date, and I'm not bored listening to them since I can complete understand what they're referring to since it's a strong interest of mine. Downside for me is the length – minimum time has been 23 minutes and maximum has been 2 hours and 21 minutes and in trying to listen to two different episodes I got distracted partway through or needed to do other things. I'll subscribe, but I'm not sure how often I'll actually listen.



I won't listen to any podcasts on my ipod; it is filled to the brim with music and audio books.

No comments:

Post a Comment